The West Division of LabCorp is seeking a Technical Director to join their team in San Diego, CA. The lab in San Diego provides core clinical laboratory testing 365 days a year, for healthcare providers throughout California. The primary clinical testing areas are Chemistry, Endocrinology, Therapeutic Drug Monitoring, Immunoassay, Hematology, Urinalysis, Microbiology, and Nucleic Acid Amplification. Active Histology and Cytology departments are also on site.
Reporting to the VP of Laboratory Operations, the incumbent will the largely responsible for providing comprehensive technical oversight for a fast-paced, high volume core laboratory. He/She will serve as the go-to technical lead responsible for ensuring accuracy for all areas of testing, while setting the tone and direction to maintain superior performance and quality. The Director will be the "last-stop" on all issues and will regularly communicate with clients, physicians, and LabCorp staff. Additionally, the Techincal Director will work very closely with LabCorp Divsional Directors in an effort to maintain and continuously improve laboratory performance and customer service.
- Oversees the technical component of the laboratory to ensure that patient results are reported reliably
- Sets the tone in the lab for superior performance and quality, ensuring techs perform duties correctly (i.e., handling specimens, pipetting)
- Manage technical projects, troubleshoot issues, and consult with the lab staff when there are issues, new tests to be validated, etc.
- Reviews and reports patient results as needed, accurately, and with integrity
- Ensures accuracy for all testing in the lab, including instrument performance and addressing root causes when issues arise
- Promptly and reliably responds to client inquires that are technical in nature
- Effectively communicates with clients, physicians, pathologists, and LabCorp staff, including Science Technology and Laboratory teams
- Serves as last-stop to solve clients' technical problems (i.e., test rejection)
- Assists the Quality department to ensure all required regulations are followed
- Participates in, reviews and approves validation plans and studies, ensuring accurate and timely data is provided
- Attends client meetings, to support business development or address customers' concerns
- Guides implementation of new assays and instrumentation in lab per Company-wide programs
- Projects credibility and builds rapport with medical doctors/LabCorp clients, providing quick/accurate responses to inquires
- Keeps up with scientific advances and other literature, offering perspectives about improvements, such as how a report reads
- An interest in providing staff educational seminars, participation in national technical societies and publishing peer-reviewed manuscripts is encouraged
- Shares experiences and ideas with discipline directors, such as improvements to SOPs, reports, etc.
- PhD in Life Sciences discipline or MD
- Board Certification from the American Board of Clinical Chemistry in one or more disciplines, or equivalent clinical board program.
- Hold or be eligible to attain a California Clinical Laboratory Bioanalyst License
- Minimum of 5-7 years of experience in a clinical laboratory setting
- Excellent written and spoken communication skills
- High-volume, fast-paced reference lab experience is highly preferred
- Previous experience as a laboratory leader leading technical projects and directly or indirectly managing direct reports
- Proven ability to influence and work with lab staff, developing their capabilities and enrolling them in problem-solving and urgent matters
- Deductive reasoning and analytical skills to reach resolution to customer inquiries or lab opportunities and issues
- Depth and breadth of experience within a clinical lab, understanding validation, quality control, proficiency testing, regulatory requirements
- Knowledge of quality standards and accountable for providing accurate results
- Ability to respond to stressful and/or urgent situations